Friday, October 1, 2010

Review: The Giver


In honor of Banned Books Week, I reread The Giver by Lois Lowry. The first time I read it, I felt like I knew what the ending meant. Now I can see a few different interpretations--though that still means I'll choose the interpretation that I like. With the book fresh in my mind though, I am going to go check out its companion books Gathering Blue and Messenger.
Besides being an enjoyable and interesting read without being too laborious (that's what I love about quality YA fiction), it was good for me to read this book at this time in my life. Lately my toddler has been getting hurt or sick every time I turn around. It's stressful and sometimes I want to just put her in a bubble (or maybe wrap her in bubble wrap), but this book shows the extreme end of never having any pain or troubles. We need pain and suffering to know joy and love. I always knew it, but it's a good reminder right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment