Friday, April 23, 2010

Review: I See Rude People


I don't remember what prompted me to pick up this book in the first place. I have mixed feelings about it. I don't really recommend it, but I don't regret reading it either.
Amy Alkon is an advice columnist who started a crusade against bad manners after someone stole her car. And while I agree with her cause, I don't necessarily agree with her methods. She gets up in people's faces about having loud cell phone conversations in public places, she bills (and in one case even sued) telemarketers for taking up her valuable time, and makes a big show of taking pictures of people acting badly and then posting them on her blog.
I hate loud cell phone talkers and bad drivers as much as the next person, but I don't think any of those people actually learn from being told off. If you flip off the driver who almost killed you by running that red light, they will not feel repentant, but rather indignant. The best you might do is make them work harder to justify their own actions. I do agree with the last chapter of Alkon's book--it's nice to be nice. The world would be a much more pleasant place if we treated everyone--complete strangers and people we interact with every day alike--as if they matter. Because they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment