Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Review: Catching Fire


Catching Fire, the follow up to Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games didn't disappoint. It was just as gripping and nail biting as the first, and I can't wait to read the third when it's released in August.

I must admit that I was surprised with the direction the plot took. Surprise in fiction is good, but there were a few parts in the beginning of the book that felt rushed in order for Collins to get to the story she really wanted to tell.

And this might be part of the main character's charm, but I found her to be completely clueless at times. Or in more flattering terms, you might say that she's innocent and unassuming. The hints that other characters were trying to give her were apparent to me, but she was completely blind to them. I'm still not sure if that bugged me or not. I may hold out judgement until book three to see if she learns to be a little more savvy.

Finally, I've heard that The Hunger Games is being made into a movie. Part of me wants to see it because I enjoyed the book, but another part worries that any true rendition would be too bloody and yucky for me. Of course, these books were written for ages 12 and up, so how much could they show in a movie made for that audience?

1 comment:

  1. Love love your book reviews. I think I am going to read this book (the first one) next!

    ReplyDelete