Saturday, July 16, 2011

Review: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is one of those classics that I've always meant to read but never got around to. And I enjoyed it even more than I expected to.

It's about a young girl growing up in poverty in Brooklyn in the early 20th century. Though it's a work of fiction, it has enough similarities to the author's own childhood that there is no doubt she knows what she's talking about. It's what I would call true fiction.

The heroine, Francie Nolan, is engaging and interesting and it is easy to feel for her, though she rarely feels sorry for herself. One of the things that impressed me the most about this book is the compassion that the author had for just about every character. None of them were demonized--not the alcoholic father or the unaffectionate mother. She knew that people were weak, but she seemed to understand why and had sympathy for them. The only overt criticism of a character in the book is of the rich when they are demonstrative of how giving they are to the poor. Why can't they just give without pointing out how rich they are and how poor we are? Francie wonders. And I can't blame her.

If you haven't read this book, then go and read it now. My only regret is that whatever I read next is likely to pale in comparison. I had better pick something completely different.


from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

"Laurie's going to have a mighty easy life all right."

"She'll never have the hard times we had, will she?"

"No. And she'll never have the fun we had, either."

"Gosh! We did have fun, didn't we Neeley?"


"Yeah!"

"Poor Laurie," said Francie pityingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment