Thursday, July 14, 2011

Read Aloud: Beatrix Potter Collection


For her first birthday, my mother gave my daughter a collection of Beatrix Potter books. They're the small, illustrated books and sit on her highest shelf.

Today I finished reading them aloud to my daughter. Sometimes she played and ignored me, but sometimes she sat with me and looked at the pictures. Her favorites were the "bunnies."

Previously I had only read the most popular Beatrix Potter books like Peter Rabbit. The stories are sweet or funny, and the illustrations, of course, are classic. There were many words that young children today wouldn't recognize (at least American children)--usually clothes or household items that were common in Beatrix Potter's day.

I enjoyed getting to know these beautifully illustrated children's books and love that my mother gave my daughter a good start to her collection of classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment