Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Review: Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader



Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman is a book for book people. And maybe for people who want to understand book people.

I was a tiny bit skeptical going into this book because the whole book about books thing can be a bit overdone. You love books? So do I! What more is there to say about it?

But I thoroughly enjoyed every one of Anne's essays. They made me feel not so alone in the world. It's been a few years since I've been in an English Lit class, where almost everyone there is as nerdy about books as you are. Out in the real world, you begin to feel a bit out of place. But reading these essays made me remember that I'm not alone in my bibliophilia. In fact, next to Fadiman's thousands of books, my hundreds look puny. (I might have to remind my husband of that the next time he has to move my hundreds of books--I love you, honey!)

Each of her essays could be a good jumping off place for discussions about books and reading. And since I had no one reading them with me to have these discussions with, this blog might be subjected to a few thoughts that Fadiman's essays stirred up in my mind.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an interesting book! I'll read it and discuss it with you. :)

    ReplyDelete