Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Review: A Single Shard


"I am going to--to Songdo," Tree-ear said at last, as if testing the words. He looked at his companion pleadingly. "It seems too far away, to say it."

"No, my friend," Crane-man said. "It is only as far as the next village. A day's walk, on your young legs."

Tree-ear frowned, mystified. But before he could speak, Crane-man continued. "Your mind knows that you are going to Songdo. But you must not tell your body. It must think one hill, one valley, one day at a time. In that way, your spirit will not grow weary before you have even begun to walk."



I reread A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park because I remembered how much I had enjoyed it while thinking back on all the Newbery Award winning books I have read. It is still one of my favorites--simple, beautifully told, interesting history, moving story. You won't regret reading it once or twice either.

No comments:

Post a Comment