Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Review: Hattie Big Sky


"My bounce-around life had taught me that dreams were dangerous things--they look solid in your mind, but you just try to reach for them. It's like gathering clouds."

I read Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson because my mother recommended it. I love reading other people's favorite books--it always gives me new insight into who they are. I know why my mother liked this book--she's always loved books about people being resourceful and making a living off of the land.

I loved this book too. I read it quickly and enjoyed following Hattie as she learns to live alone in eastern Montana, attempting to prove up on the homestead her uncle left her. At the same time, Hattie and her neighbors are profoundly changed by World War I though it's being fought far away in another country.

The best evidence of me recommending this book to others is that I'm going to look up the author, Kirby Larson, and see if she has written anything else. Hattie Big Sky won the Newbery Honor in 2007, and is one of those great YA books that is easy for adults to read without even realizing that it's YA.

No comments:

Post a Comment