Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Review: The Man Who Loved Books Too Much



"This book belongs to none but me
For there’s my name inside to see.
To steal this book, if you should try,
It’s by the throat that you’ll hang high.
And ravens then will gather ‘bout
To find your eyes and pull them out.
And when you’re screaming
‘Oh, Oh, Oh!’
Remember, you deserved this woe."
--Warning written by medieval German scribe

I recently read a fascinating nonfiction book: The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession by Allison Hoover Bartlett. A book about loving books. How can you love a book too much? Well, I don't think I can, but some of the real life characters you'll find here do. The people this book followed were interesting and often inexplicable.


Beyond the intriguing story, this book made me examine my own relationship with books. I'll leave those thoughts for future posts, but to sum up my review of the book: If you like books, you should read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment