Monday, March 1, 2010

Review: Enna Burning


After some hit and miss experiences with reading Shannon Hale, I was afraid of being disappointed with Enna Burning. I had realized that I had loved the two books I read that were based on old fairy tales (Book of a Thousand Days and The Goose Girl), but after two attempts have still not been able to finish reading another one (The Princess Academy) despite its awards and glowing reviews.
Enna Burning is a spin off from The Goose Girl, and spin offs of any kind make me nervous. But I enjoyed Enna Burning. Enna was a distinct character and her experience and story were uniquely hers, despite the heroine of Goose Girl playing an important role. And even though some of Hale's scenes sometimes feel a little contrived to me, it was an enjoyable read. It's a great book for young girls and anyone who used to be a young girl (don't we all want a Finn in our lives?).
I am glad that I read a few books in between my doses of Shannon Hale, and will wait a while before picking up another of her books. One cannot live on dessert alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment