Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Review: Your Best Birth


I haven't posted many book reviews lately because I've been reading pregnancy and birthing books. I read Better Birth by Denise Spatafora. It was good, but a little too touchy-feely for me. And I didn't feel there was a lot of information (particularly the breathing and meditating exercises for birthing) that I hadn't read elsewhere.

One book I really did enjoy was Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein. They wrote it after the debut of their documentary The Business of Being Born.

This book was very accessible, easy to read, and written in simple language for the average woman (not the medical community). There is no doubt that Ricki and Abby have their opinions about birth, but they do not shove their opinions down your throat. They give straightforward information about various birth options and interventions, including their history, their side effects, and the times when they are medically necessary.

What I liked best about the book is that they are trying to inform women about the various options out there without trying to tell you what you should do. They also realize that you have to be flexible--birth and your baby are not going to follow your plan. But they encourage women to be informed and make active choices instead of laying back and simply letting things happen to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment