Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Review: The Lightning Thief


What if the Greek gods were real and were still around today? Well, they'd be doing what they've always done, which includes hanky panky with mortals that results in half-god, half-mortal children, i.e. heroes.

That's the premise of The Lightning Thief and the other Percy Jackson and the Olympians books. I read the first book quickly. It's an easy, entertaining read. I found a couple of bits a little predictable, but there were plenty of unexpected plot twists as well.

I'm not rushing out to read the next one, but I probably will read them all eventually. They'll be good for when I've been doing too much heavy reading and need some lighter fare. Plus these books include just enough allusions to popular Greek myths so that someone (like a young adult, the target audience) who doesn't know the myths can follow the book but also might be interested enough to learn more. Which can only be a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Percy Jackson series. I love the mythology interspersed throughout and I love that they make it all relevant. Comfort reads for me, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Percy Jackson series. :) Rick Riordan also wrote another series featuring Egyptian gods, and I really want to read that too.

    ReplyDelete