Monday, February 28, 2011

Review: Moon Over Manifest (2011 Newbery Winner)


Moon Over Manifest is the story of a girl sent to live in the town of Manifest during the Great Depression. As she searches for evidence of her father who lived there as a boy, she discovers the story of a town full of immigrants as they struggled to work together and survive during World War I.

I wasn't pulled into the story immediately, but I think it had much more to do with my mood than the book itself. Because once I got into the book, I was hooked. The characters are real people, the fictional town is a real place, and this story is a true story--as all good stories are, whether fact or fiction. It heartily deserves the Newbery Medal.

I found it interesting that two of last year's best books for young readers (this one and Turtle in Paradise) are set during the Great Depression. We are not experiencing times nearly as hard as that, but maybe in our hard times it is good to remember that people have been through worse and still survived and thrived.


Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool is the winner of this year's Newbery Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment