Thursday, February 11, 2010

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


"They do surgery in the Capitol, to make people appear younger and thinner. In District 12, looking old is something of an achievement since so many people die early. You see an elderly person, you want to congratulate them on their longevity, ask the secret of survival. A plump person is envied because they aren't scraping by like the majority of us. But here it is different. Wrinkles aren't desirable. A round belly isn't a sign of success."

I've heard a lot of hype about The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, so I thought I'd give it a try. First of all, I'm just relieved to be reading a current YA fiction that's not about vampires. Yes, this book is dark, but it raises interesting questions about survival and humanity. And it puts a whole new twist on reality TV and the short story "The Most Dangerous Game."

It's difficult to to talk about this book without giving something about the plot away--and it's a plot driven book. So I'm just going to say that I enjoyed it. Once it got into the action, I had a hard time putting it down. It is violent and bloody, so keep that in mind before going into it, but it was a level of violence and blood that my sensitive stomach could handle. I'm glad I came late to this book, because the second book is already out so I don't have to wait for it. But I am going to have to wait for the third and final installment, which comes out this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment