Friday, October 23, 2009

Review: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant



The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant, is the story of Dinah, the daughter of Jacob from the book of Genesis. Diamant’s story is so well-researched and beautifully written that I believed that this was Dinah’s voice.

For someone who grew up with the stories of the Bible told simply and with no questions of who the good guys and bad guys are, it was a little strange to alter the way I thought about the iconic Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. But this is Dinah’s story, and I embraced it. I have never wanted a happy ending for any character as desperately as I did for Diamant’s Dinah.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone, but especially for women. It is a book about mothers and daughters and should be read by anyone who is a mother or a daughter.

Though I wish I’d known about this amazing book long ago, it would have been a completely different experience if I had read it before I was a mother myself. I look forward to reading it again and again at different times in my life to see what else I can get out of it.

The Red Tent
By Anita Diamant
Picador, 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment